Saturday, January 10, 2009

1958 Velocette Venom Clubman ( later called a Mk.1 Clubman) test....

Aghhhh....I'm having heaps of problems with special items for my blog...hence the delay in posting and this is a "stop-gap" post, although the bike on test, UK licenced SOX-631 is a super favourite of myself and good friend Jim Day....
What is the article you've ( hopefully temporarily) missed out on?
It an item I've researched for years about the mystical some would say Velocette Mk.6 KTT...plenty of pics from my archive and documentation to back it up.... keep logging on.....
What is Sox-631?
Veloce Ltd often used this registration on different models on test...guess it was a ploy to avoid taxing new motorcycles all the time...they had one, so they just effectively transferred the plates....they were not new at this idea, having recycled KTT engine numbers since the 1930s to their end of production in the early 1950s....in fact they often screwed a small plate on the magneto cover of these KTT works jobs which had the engine number on it, none on the usual drive side position...then it was easy to swap the cover from engine to engine.....
I can confirm this, I had an ex works, elektron magneto cover with such a plate and KTT5004/7 stamped on it...Stanley Woods 1937 Senior TT machine. It used frame SF4 and I also owned this, but little else of the bike worse luck....
Look closely at the pic below, scanned from a "MotorCycling" item and the plate is visible under the tachometer drive gearbox...I can't, at this stage locate the photo I took of my old cover before I sold it on...














The attached items are a Veloce hand out printed following a test by the staff of the UK motorcycling paper "MotorCycling" on August 7th 1958...
Another factory publicity photo is included of a 1960 Venom Clubman. Good looking pieces of kit as they say....
Acknowledgement is made to Mortons Motorcyle Media, owners of the former "MotorCycle" and "MotorCycling" copyright for use of the images.
Read on...
Left click on images to enlarge....




































No comments: