Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pukekohe 2011...a look around the meeting with my "jaundiced" Velocette eye....

I mentioned in the previous blog I'd look at Velocette at Pukekohe 2011 and admitting to a "jaundiced eye" when it comes to Velocette, I've some photos to share with you...not much text, as it's late in Sydney as I prepare this....
Left click on the images to enlarge...
Stroll around for the few days I was there with me....
I mentioned that Chris Swallow, son of well known UK racer Bill Swallow had spent some time in NZ on a working holiday and secured a few rides...this time he was riding the Phil Price ex Arthur Wheeler 1949 Mk.8 KTT, prepared by Nick Thomson.
The bike goes hard and Chris did it justice...amen to that.
The following series of pics were for a prewar race from memory...Chris "appeared" to stall the bike on the line as they formed up and push started it...but I think he was playing to the crowd...he was conveniently at the rear of the field, dismounted, in gear, back on compression and pushed off on the "drop of the flag" ...it sounded like a Mk.8 should when neatly push started and the clutch fed in...I should know, I push started my Mk.8 countless times over the many years I raced it...
Watch through the photos I took....






Warwick Darrow supplied me with a few photos that are included....




Nick Thomson prepares a rather quick 500 pushrod Velo special...now residing in a McIntosh featherbed frame and ridden by Andrew Drake, pictured....lets have a look at some of the detail that goes into the machine... aluminium stuff everywhere and the characteristic Nick mod to the gearbox mainshaft with the outrigger bearing....






The spool rear hub is machined from aluminium alloy and the rear brake drum appeared 6" diameter.




Andrew fitted a miniature camera to the bike and promised to send me an mp3 of a race...if it turns out satisfactory, I'll include it in a future blog.
There is always the inevitable MAC racer....


Cheryl Mickelson from the NZ Velocette Register arranged a photo-shoot for Velo people at 12 noon on the Sunday...some forgot, myself included....
Warwick stumped up a photo...
Cheryl, centre with camera....
Roy White and Peter Butterworth...Peter left his stable of Velos languishing in his shed this year...
Lets finish off with a couple of shots from around the NZ Velocette Register display and tent....









No comments: