Friday, July 24, 2009

The Motor Cycle Book for Boys 1928........

For 1928, "The MotorCycle" produced what they intended to be an annual for boys , introducing them to motorcycling.
Regretably it only appeared in 1928 and there were no more editions, for what reason I have never ascertained.
As you will see from the following, it has really neat and interesting information, cartoons, pen and ink drawings and a double page spread of petrol tank colour schemes...really handy for a restoration.
195 pages, 11" x 8.5" and 3/4" thick......
I rarely see any for sale, but there was one in the UK auction mid 2008... see the extract from the sale prices below...
Gasp....
Left click on images to enlarge....


























































































































3 comments:

geraldgee said...

Thanks for posting "The Motorcycling Book for Boys",the bowler hat cartoon was drawn by my father Leslie Grimes and I had not seen ir before.
I once owned one of the Velocette clubman prototypes bought from Stephens in Goldhawk road London.They told me it had been raced at Thruxton.TT carb,close ratio box,rearset pedals running on castor with the biggest air cooling scoop on the front brake I have ever seen that I had to blank off as it collected rainwater.
Best bike I ever had.

Velo rider said...

It is a great book, and copies pop up on eBay UK about every other month. Prices vary, but expect to pay $100US. My copy has a very tattered cover, but I don't mind as the content inside is what I was after.

cheers
Pete Young
Frisco, CA

Anonymous said...

My father is selling one NOW! Ends May 10th 2011