Friday, January 29, 2010

A small book I found while riding in Europe in 1974.....

Browing my bookshelf I came across a small book I occasionally look at, and as it is in German, and my German, never good, has deteriorated, I really only look at the photos now....
But it is a facinating book, I was walking with Mrs DQ through a medieval town sometime in 1974 and in the strangest of shops was this book, 1.5Dm was the price and so I bought it...
Titled..."Junge das ist Tempo" it was printed in 1954...
I acknowledge Franz Schneider the publisher and likely the owner of the photos within...
As well I've had some corrections I had to make since I first posted this...my thanks to Rupert aka "Rennmax" for his quickly putting me right on several details....always appreciated.....
Left click on the images to enlarge....

















Karl Boehm, readies for a world sidecar record attempt...there is 60kg of ballast in the sidecar...












Cyril Smith, Norton, likely at Hockenheim.















The NSU race team warm up the engine with hot air.....
















Start of a sidecar race at Hockenhein....












Walter Zeller appears to dwarf the Rennsport BMW he is riding in the Stadtkurve at Hockenheim.



















Motor scooter speed record...142.1kph with Italians, Masetti, Ambrosini and Ferri riding. Unsure of the make, but likely a Lambretta. The record attempt was at Monthlery in France.















Werner Haas tries a 250cc twin racing NSU for the 1953 racing season for size....
























Werner Haas...250 World Champion on NSU, sadly killed, aged 29, in an aeroplane crash on 13th November 1956 near Munchen...
A handsome looking man, I reckon he would give Giacomo Agostini a "run for his money" in the probable film star catagory....























Fritz Hillebrandt ( with Manfred Grunewald in the chair) on an unstreamlined BMW 500RS outfit in the Sudkerhre at the Nurbergring.













Eric Oliver on his streamlined Norton outfit...despite the still large frontal area, Oliver claimed it gave a 10-15km advantage in speed on fast circuits.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these nice couple of pics which I would like to comment, hopefully without doing the smart-arse job....
The title of the booklet is „Junge,das ist Tempo“, not Funge, which means roughly „boy, that's what I call speed“
The bike with Werner Haas on board is not a 500 but a 250 cc for the '53 season with separate bevel drives for the camshafts. There was no unblown 500 NSU twin by the way.
The guy passengering Fritz Hillebrand is his regular Manfred Grunewald. „Amberg“ was Hillebrand's hometown.
Cheers
Rupert aka „Rennmax“

Anonymous said...

There was no guy called Franz Schneider the guy who had written this thing was Arthur Westrup I think. Franz Schneider only was one of his many synonyms and this thing was sort of p.r.. A similar book of Westrup:

http://cgi.ebay.de/NSU-MOTORRAD-Buch-mit-WERK-Zeichnungen-SPORTMAX-1956_W0QQitemZ250584886082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSach_Fachb%C3%BCcher?hash=item3a5805eb42

Great blog I very enjoy reading it.

kind regards

H. Schubert

Newimp said...

Yes Dennis this is a photo of the Lambretta used for Innocenti's World Speed Record attempts in August/September 1950.
The 125mph torpedo-shaped World Record Lambretta was not built until the first half of 1951.

I certainly enjoy reading all these historical entries, being with an Australian slant.

Regards,

Peter Shannon