Monday, May 3, 2010

The Isle of Man Times and the TT........

One of the many items, some would say obscure, in my collection are copies of the Isle of Man Times, the daily newspaper produced in Douglas, IOM.
I have collected stuff on the IOM TT over the years and these came my way over 30 years back and have been a source of information. Those in question are pre-war and so are yellowed in background colour and have creases from the many years folded etc.
They have limited photos of the TT at the time and as such I always wanted to be able to reproduce them.
About a year ago I lashed out financially on a high end A3 format scanner and in collaboration with Mick Tesser, who runs a printing business in Western Australia, Velocette owner and the printer of the Australian Velo OC magazine FTDU, I seem to have finally got to an acceptable result from such scanning...
Some simple research reveals that a strike in 1987 killed off a series of Manx newspapers, The Examiner,  Isle of Man Times, Manx Star , Isle of Man Gazette, so I'm unsure who would hold any copyright....
So I'll share some with you over this and future blogs.....
I'll feature one more blog later this week before I leave for the USA from 8th to 22nd May on my annual US Velocette pilgrimage....
Left click on the images to enlarge..... 
 The 1936 Norton team
From the June 1938 IOM Times 
 
 The entries with their riding numbers and the colour of the number plate.
 

No comments: